Tuesday, June 23, 2009

(un)Extreme Home Make(under)

Today I went to a house that may be a real possibility. Here are the specs:
3 bed/2 bath
vaulted living room ceiling
tile floor in the bathrooms
cute little kitchen
1300 square feet
2 car garage
composition roof
fiber cement siding (looks very weather resistant)
continuous foundation (because you don't want slab)
construction finished this year! No one has ever lived there.

I am looking at it again tomorrow with my mom and sister and maybe my brother in law if he's not too tired, and possibly some friends if they feel like it. And then maybe I will cancel my offer on the house I've been waiting on for a month and make an offer on this place.

Here is where the holey-moley-I-should-have-taught-summer-school-for- extra-money-part comes in.

I made a list of everything I would need to buy, then I visited Sears, Target and Home Depot web sites for price estimates.

All rooms:
blinds $280
curtain rods $240
curtains $320

Bathrooms:
shower rods $25
shower curtains $40
mirrors $60
hooks/towel racks $40
colored paint (because it's fun) $85

Furniture:
sofa $600
love seat $300
chair $200
bookshelves $400 (I have a lot of books)

Appliances:
fridge $900
washer $350
dryer $350

Other:
garage door opener and cute Sears guy to install it $175
rugs $100
shrubbery for the outdoors $120

I don't know if you've been keeping track with your calculator, but the total comes to.....$4,585! Holy frijoles and oh mis gatos! And I was using the cheapest possible estimates. Frickin' windows alone cost $840. Over the past few days I was thinking about adding more to my down payment, but now I think I'll just keep it because I have to pay for all this stuff.

Maybe I'll just skip all the living room furniture for a year. We can just have 500 square feet of living room with nothing in it. And I mean, washing your clothes is over-rated. Just wear them in the shower and scrub them down with a bar of soap.

Oh, in case you were wondering Travis (my brother in law) is coming to move my furniture on Thursday night. But I'm not leaving with it, which means I have 5 nights of sleeping on my fold out lawn chair with a sleeping bag. But I'd rather sleep on a lawn chair for a week in my own place than sleep in a bed at my parents' house. I'll take a picture for you and post it on Friday sometime.

I guess that means I only have two nights left in my bed, and I should use it to the max. So I am going to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails