Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rude Receptionists, a play in two acts

Today I was a creeper at nine different houses. I peered in through the windows, went in the gate to check out the backyard, got on my hands and knees to peer into the basement windows, and did a park-and-watch. It only took me three hours. I took notes next to the addresses like "needs new flooring in bedrooms--ugly." Or things like "way cute inside!" or "needs a lot of yard work in back" or "needs new paint--ugly" or "kind of trashy neighborhood" and "Totally heinous, don't even think about it." I marked down which ones I want my realtor to take me to and which ones to forget about. He will be receiving an e-mail and following phone call in the morning.

I also had to make pit stops at TSPC and the Sal-Keiz main offices. Here are their respective transcripts:

Setting: TSPC, a receptionist with a headset on is sitting at the front desk.
Enter: Joelle. She's holding an envelope with a check for 100 bucks and a C-1 form so she can get her language arts endorsement added to her license. She waits patiently as the woman ignores her.

Joelle: Hi. Can I just drop this envelope off?
Crabby Receptionist: (adjusts headset) If you ring the bell someone will come out to help you.
Joelle: (looks at bell. Rings it. Sits down for two seconds).
Enter Receptionist #2 from back area.
Receptionist #2: Can I help you?
Joelle: Hi, can I drop this envelope off? It's for adding an endorsement.
Receptionist #2: Sure, that's great. (takes envelope)
Joelle: Thank you. (exits, but gives Crabby Receptionist a look first).

And here is the other one.

Setting: Sal-Keiz Administrative Offices. Two women with headsets are sitting behind the enormous desk, which has been moved from its previous location on the left to right in your face when you walk in through the door.
Enter: Joelle. She's holding a W-4 form.

Joelle: Hi. I think I need to go up to Payroll. I have a new W-4 form, I need to change my address, and sign up for direct deposit.
Anna: Blah blah blah. Yes, you'll want to go up to Payroll and talk to Shelly.
Joelle: Okay, thanks (goes upstairs and sees another receptionist). Hi. Is Shelly available?
Crabby Receptionist: Can I ask who you are?
Joelle: Joelle Lastname.
Crabby Receptionist gets Shelly, a thin, 30 something woman with blondish hair.
Shelly: Can I help you?
Joelle: Hi. I have a new W-4 to turn in, and I need to make sure you have my new address so this month's paycheck doesn't get mailed to the wrong place. Blah blah blah more details included about the situation.
Shelly: What kind of work do you do for the district?
Joelle: I'm a teacher.
Shelly: (hands over a form) You don't look old enough to be a teacher.
Joelle: (trying to be polite) That's what my kids say. They ask "Miss G, how old are you?" But I try to keep it a secret.
Shelly: Then I guess there are those people who are 17 and look 21.
Joelle: Yeah.
Shelly: The good thing about it is that when you're 45 you'll still look really young.
Joelle: That's probably true.
Shelly: (finally coughs up all the forms needed) Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.
Joelle: Thank you. (Exit stage left)

Unbelievable, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails