Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Break

It's 10:30am and I don't want to do anything that I have to do, but I need to. If I don't do my laundry I will have to go to work naked, which would get me fired for public indecency. If I don't go grocery shopping then I will be forced to eat my own leather cap (if I had one), like David Sedaris' father did in Me Talk Pretty One Day. If I don't prepare for my scheduled half-hour meeting with the principal and assistant principal, then I will look like an idiot.

I just want it to be 4:00pm, March 20th, because that's when spring break starts. Unlike all those cool people who are going to Cabo, or Canada, or Disneyland, I am going almost no where. The only place I am going is to Redmond, because my great-grandpa is turning 90 and we are having a big birthday party for him with all the extended relatives that I haven't seen since I wore training pants and ate Cheerios out of a Ziploc baggy. It should be lots of fun though, because approximately 17 people will be staying at my grandma's house for the night, and we usually have good times. I'll have to sleep on the floor and watch out for scorpions (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating), but my grandma is totally bomb.

I'm riding over with my parents after work this coming Friday. My mom was all "we're taking the truck, so you can just sleep in the back. It's pretty spacious." And I was all "It's not likely, because Dad will probably talk my ear off." I won't get into it, because I don't know who reads this, but if you want details, ask me. Basically, I need to make sure my iPod is charged. And that I bring a good book.

My sister's Rottweiler is going to have puppies in two weeks, and I told Jess that she should get like birth announcements so people are all "oh my goodness, Jessamy is pregnant?" Jess got married 3 months ago, FYI. Anyway, but then they'll open the announcement up and it will say "We have puppies!" Haha. I told Jess to save one for me to name. I don't have a name in mind, but I like naming things so she needs to save one. My favorite part of writing a new story is coming up with the character's names. I usually go to babynames.com and search for good ones.

This is what's going to happen to me on the off chance that Nick Zano dumps Kristin Cavallari and asks me to carry his offspring: I will suggest some names, and my husband will be like "Isn't that a character from one of your books?" And I'll say, "Why, yes, it is. Do you have a problem with that?" Because I can't save all the good names for my unborn children, on the off chance that I have any. My characters need good names, too. And okay, it might be a little weird if I name my son the same name as the hot guy in one of my books, but whatev. Hot guys always have the same sort of names anyway: Jake, Josh, Jeff, Michael, David, Ryan, Matthew, Tyler....if you meet a hot guy you have practically a 70% chance it's going to be one of these names. I realize these are common names, and that might have something to do with 70% of the population having these names. I just now Googled popular baby names and it led me to the social security online site, where you can type in a year and it shows the top 20 baby names for that year. I tried several different years and these names are almost always on there. Anyway, most of my characters have more interesting names, except in my most recent story, where the lead male character is definitely named Mike. Oops.

I need to go eat some cereal and get on with my life. Blah. Nice talking to you, see you again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails