Monday, March 30, 2009

I'd rather eat a hamburger

This Thursday is McTeacher night at McDonald's. It's a fundraiser for our school. I suppose I should have read the flier more carefully, because I don't know what percentage of the sales actually go to the school. While I am all about earning money for our poor school, I will not be participating in McTeacher night for the following reasons, listed in order of importance:

1) I have a math meeting in South Salem from 4-6, which is coincidentally the same hours that McTeacher night is happening. I get paid to go to this math meeting, and they are usually very beneficial considering I've never taught these units before.
2) I do not support the food production processes/practices of McDonald's (or their marketing, either) Read Fast Food Nation to find out why. It's true that I have bought food at McDonald's, but it is typically on a rare occasion.
3) I am a vegetarian.
4) Today Naughty Child said in his extremely rude, loud voice "I'm gonna go and make you serve me two Big Macs." He said it in a very snotty manner, and I'll tell you right now that I would rather eat a hamburger (as long as it's not from McDonald's) than serve Naughty Child food. He is no position to be served anything, unless it is a swift kick in the pants.

This is where this post ends, unless you would like to continue reading about how you can save humanity.

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals. I am a vegetarian because I love people, and I am trying to use the least amount of energy possible in the food that I eat. See picture.
Above is how munch energy is needed when you eat meat.

Above is how much energy you need when you eat plants only. As you can see, when you get rid of the middle, the base shrinks.

Check out more about this picture and other convincing arguments at www.pbjcampaign.org I copied the following below from this site.

Greenhouse Gas Emissions: 2.5 Pounds

Each time you have a plant-based lunch like a PB&J you'll reduce your carbon footprint by the equivalent of 2.5 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions over an average animal-based lunch like a hamburger, a tuna sandwich, grilled cheese, or chicken nuggets. For dinner you save 2.8 pounds and for breakfast 2.0 pounds of emissions.

Those 2.5 pounds of emissions at lunch are about forty percent of the greenhouse gas emissions you'd save driving around for the day in a hybrid instead of a standard sedan.

If you have a PB&J instead of a red-meat lunch like a ham sandwich or a hamburger, you shrink your carbon footprint by almost 3.5 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions.


Conserve Water: 133 Gallons

You'll conserve water at lunch too! How about 133 gallons of water conserved at lunch versus the average American lunch? To put this in perspective, five PB&Js or other plant-based lunches per month would save more water than switching to a low-flow showerhead. If you're replacing hamburgers, it should take you just three lunches to conserve more water than the low-flow showerhead.


Save Land: 24 Square Feet

Don't forget the land you save from deforestation, over-grazing, and pesticide and fertilizer pollution: about 24 square feet at lunch.


Save the earth, eat PB and J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails