Thursday, November 12, 2009

11/12/13

I did some math and when I turn 28 my birthday will be on November 12th, 2013. That's 11/12/13, which is probably the day the world will end, not 12/12/12, like the new movie and ancient Mayans predicted.

When people thought chaos would ensue for Y2K, I was mildly excited. For months before, my mom stocked up on dried beans and rice. We had buckets upon sealed buckets of food stored up. We even bought our own flour grinder. I had just started public school and was excited about the prospect that everything would crash and schools would close, but I would still get home schooled and get smarter than every one else*, while they were at home in the dark, not eating toast, because even the toasters had computer chips in them set to combust on 01/01/00. But Y2K didn't happen, and we ended up having over 200 pounds of dried foods left in a closet in our house for six years instead. However, we were ready to reenact the Oregon Trail.







*While I was in school I thought it was important to be smarter than everyone else. I finally realized this was a bad idea, because all it meant was that you had to be the one in charge of group work, since you knew the most. Also, that boys you had crushes on would try to work with you in biology class, not because they liked you, but because they were lazy and wanted the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails