Friday, January 16, 2009

Smencils

This evening I was like, hey, it's Friday, I'm going to buy dinner. Out of convenience, I decided to go to the Dairy Queen, which is more or less directly on the other side of my house. Although I have lived here for a year and a half, I can count on one hand how many times I've frequented DQ. Now, I'm going to tell you something that may disturb you, seeing how I'm a vegetarian. I ordered the fish basket. Yeah, I know. Fish is totally meat. Some people are like "Oh, you don't eat meat? What about fish?" Fish is totally meat. It's the flesh of another living (now dead) creature. While I am morally opposed to eating beef, chicken, and other kinds of animals, I think fish is okay because it lives in the water and isn't sucking up valuable resources like land space.

Vegetarian tangent: I only have to say this because you are probably wondering, even though it is not at all a part of where I am trying to go with this story. I am not an animal lover. I don't not eat animals because I love them. I could care less for the most part. It's the humans I care about. It's a resource waste to pump all that energy into beef (water, land, grain) when you could be growing crops to feed more people. If you want to know about where I stand with the whole meat-eating thing, request a blog post specifically on that issue and I'll tell you. I don't hate you if you eat meat. It's your choice whether or not you try to provide enough food for the rest of the world. I don't care. Eat a steak for dinner. Seriously. I don't judge you. As long as you don't judge my chocolate addiction.

Back on track. So I ordered the fish basket, because for some odd feeling I felt like eating fish. I was expecting to get fries, fish, and that yellow toast that you know is sprayed with fake butter. After I ordered, I was surprised when the cashier asked me what kind of pop I wanted. I had to really think, and then went with Mountain Dew because I was sleepy and probably could benefit from the caffeine. After I received my soda, I realized it was likely the only soft drink I had actually purchased in a very, very long time. I rarely drink pop, but I did have some at a Christmas party because there wasn't anything else. And I didn't buy it. It was on hand. So it was really weird for me to go to DQ and come out with this big cup of carbonated yellow liquid. I got the fish basket to go, and when I got home I discovered it was not what I was expecting. Sure, there were fries, but no toast. And instead of fish strips (is that a word?) it was some bizzaro fish sandwich. With pickles and some gross white sauce. I ate it anyway because it cost me five bucks, but I have to say, it's probably the last time I go to DQ for something other than a milkshake for the next three years.

About the blog title, the fifth graders at my school are selling Smencils (scented pencils) as a fundraiser. The kids are going crazy for them. Half my class bought them this morning, and our room smelled like an open bag of fruit snacks. Not that I minded. It just made me hungry. For fish in the evening, apparently. The good thing about Smencils is that 1) it's fun to say, and 2) they are eco-friendly since they are made out of recycled newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails