Thursday, January 29, 2009

GLAD lab and goat blood

I just spent the last hour watching Lost and cutting out laminated photos for my GLAD unit on animal adaptations. I peaced out of school at 3:42 so I could get to the lab downtown before the office people left at four. There is someone that monitors the supplies in the GLAD lab, and I am really thankful she was there today.

I went inside and she was listening to Spanish songs on the radio. She was a cute hispanic IA who was making some super scientist awards. I got to work cutting out my pictures. We started chatting, and when a song came on the radio, she's all "do you know who this is?" I told her I didn't. "Julio Iglesias," she replied. Go figure. She then proceeds to tell me how she thinks his voice is so romantic, and starts to giggle, even though she's fifty something. "I wish my husband could sing like that, but he doesn't, so when I listen to Julio, I pretend like it's him." Totally precious. We talked more about our kids. She is an IA in a kindergarten and a first grade room. I chatted about my fourth graders. When she was done making her super scientist awards, she offered to help me cut and glue my photos to construction paper for lamination. It's a good thing, too, because I never would have gotten it done in time otherwise. At 5:15 I stopped gluing and started using the copy machine (free print! Does not come out of my budget! YES) to print out my 71 page unit and to color copy some of my own super scientist awards. She ended up feeding all the pages into the lamination machine.

I got this new student on Monday who is totally adorable. His English is very accented, but he is a pretty good reader and speller. I guess he went here in third grade but then moved to Woodburn. Anyway, one of his old teachers told me he is from some mountainous region in Mexico where they don't speak Spanish but some other indigenous region. I guess that's part of the reason his English still needs help. He got to America and they put him in a Spanish speaking class, even though he didn't speak Spanish (now he does because of being in those classes so much). Can you imagine speaking some indigenous language, then moving to a new country and trying to learn Spanish and English at the same time? Poor guy. Anyway, I guess last year he nonchalantly told his old teacher about how his dad used to make goat blood soup or something. And like, chopped off the heads.

Tomorrow is FRIDAY (thank goodness) and I am supposed to attend a tea party on Saturday. That's right, a tea party. A 1920s themed one at that.

Now I am going to post this and log-in to Facebook so I can go to my group Addicted to LOST and read the posts on the discussion boards about this week's episode. How the writers come up with these things is beyond me. It's the biggest puzzle. I was a bit sad I didn't get to see Jack at all in this episode.

P.S. In case you were wondering this whole time, GLAD is a teacher term and it stands for Guided Language Acquisition Design. It's basically a method for teaching ELLs (English Language Learners).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails