Monday, February 2, 2009

The hardest letter I had to write

I got an e-mail from the office saying that my kid's mom requested his work from last week since he was gone, and they told me he won't be in at all this week either because he is for sure moving. I am supposed to take his things out of his desk and take it all to the office tomorrow. I put together a manila envelope with a letter, a book, and some white envelopes for my favorite student. The reason he has to leave breaks my heart, and I only wish I could help him at this time in his life. Unfortunately, we can't choose our parents, and that fact seems to bring a lot of people heartache. I'm going to keep praying for him, and I won't ever forget him. Whenever I get frustrated teaching, and I ask myself "why am I doing this?" well, now I know. I know why God put me at the school that he did. It was for him. One reason is enough for the entire school year. Meeting that little guy makes all the extra hours and late nights I put in worth it. He's a four-foot-five hero.

Dear____,

I hope you know how much I liked having you in class. I am going to miss you very much. I remember the first day of school when you came to my door and told me your name. I said, "Oh, I don't think you are in this class," because I didn't have a kid named____on my list. I didn't know then that your name was both ____and_____. It was a good thing you knew you were supposed to be in my class! I was very lucky to have you.

Your new teacher is going to love having you in class because you are such a smart student and a nice kid. I am sure you will go to college when you are older.

I am giving you a copy of Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli because it is one of my favorites and I wanted to read it with your reading group. Since I didn't get the chance, I thought you might want to read it on your own. Besides, I think it's comforting to have a good book when you are in a new place.

I also included some stamped envelopes because I would like to hear how you are doing in a little while. Maybe after you start your new school, you could tell me about it.

I will miss you a lot and class won't be the same without you, but I bet I will see you again someday. Even though the world is big, it can seem kind of small sometimes when you run into people you know without even trying.

Take care and be brave.
Love,
Ms. Grossen

"It's where I'm from, not where I am," --Maniac Magee

1 comment:

  1. Your little letter just brought tears to my eyes, I love you joellebelly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails