Thursday, February 26, 2009

The apple is not a breakfast fruit

We feed our kids breakfast at school, and it seems like there are always apples. Never bananas, or peaches, or anything else. Just apples. I think this is really weird, because the apple is not a breakfast fruit in my opinion. It's just not. I have never eaten an apple for breakfast. The apple is a snack fruit, or a lunch fruit. The banana is the prime breakfast fruit. My senior year of high school, I ate a banana everyday while driving to school. Other good breakfast fruits include the orange, the grapefruit, or maybe even pineapple. Definitely strawberries, even though I guess they are a berry and not a fruit.

I think for breakfast you could eat apple and cinnamon flavored oatmeal, drink apple juice, or even eat apple sauce, but eating a regular apple for breakfast is ridiculous. It's like eating a lime. Nobody eats a lime for breakfast.

Other unsuitable breakfast fruits include the lemon and the mango. Okay, a certain type of mango. In case you didn't know, there are many different kinds of mango, and there are two that you never want to eat for breakfast (or at any other meal). Unfortunately, I had to eat both types while staying in Mexico with my host family. The first bad type of mango smells like cat pee. The second bad type tastes like a pine tree. While in Mexico, I made the mistake of telling my host mom that I liked mango. I did, back in the States. I didn't know there was such a variety of mangoes.

Have you ever eaten an apple for breakfast? Do you think it is not suitable for breakfast? I think it is, and although I have not mentioned my feelings to my students, I think they feel the same way, because I have only ever seen them take one bite out of their apples. Then they throw them away. To make it worse, they are green apples. Yuck. Golden-delicious please.

1 comment:

  1. you know, now that i think of it, i'm not sure i ever HAVE eaten and apple for breakfast....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails