Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Happily Ever Before

I was inspired to write this after reading Hannah Katy's "Dear Priscilla, you can have your story back", which she posted all the way back in May.

While waiting upon the happily ever after scenario, I've realized I can write another story. The prequel. The Happily Ever Before story. Hannah wrote about how you shouldn't want somebody else's life, because that would mean that someone would be living out yours, and there are things you wouldn't want to miss or give up.

And she's right. I think about the people I know, my family, my friends, the experiences that I have had, and I realize I am fiercely protective over many of them. Sure, there are a chunk of difficult moments I'd give away in a heartbeat, and there are others I would want to keep just for me--those memories I wouldn't want anybody else to have. 

Hannah writes that We grow to be pretty good at belittling our life experiences in order to shine a spotlight on the ones we deem to be more interesting. It takes a few seconds to swap out our own story for one that is more “Hollywood,” more “glamorous.” I know I do this a lot. I think about how my own story is mundane in comparison to other people I've met. I know I need to own my life and be proud of it, to cherish it, even when I feel like it's worthless. I know that.

Hannah continues I think it's time that instead of constantly glorifying the stories of others we begin to hold up our own stories. We waste time wrapped up in the way someone else lives their life, in picking apart our own lifestyles because they don’t unfold perfectly, because we haven’t fallen in love as quickly as we had hoped.

I mean, I want my happily ever after. But more fiercely, I want my happily ever before. Because sometimes, the before part lasts longer than the after. This. Is. It. Right now. Who knows when after is coming? This is my story, and I need to claim it. Waking up every morning is not easy. Knowing what I'm living for every day is still a mystery. But I have been blessed with life, and should at least make an attempt at valuing the moments in it.

This is happily ever before. And it starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails