Friday, October 15, 2010

Nerd Power

Setting: 4th grade classroom, math time at the end of the day
Characters:
Drew, a 9 year old boy who has attention issues
Me, a tired teacher in her early 20s
Caleb, a talented and gifted student who wears glasses and is quite small for his age.

Me: Drew, I need you to stop bothering Caleb and sit in your seat.
Drew: But I need him. I need nerd power. I can't do this!
Me: I'm here to help you.
Drew: But you don't understand, I need Caleb's nerd power.
Me: Well, I'm a nerd too, so I can help with your math page.
Drew: Really, Miss G, you're a nerd? You don't look like a nerd.
Me: Yeah, I'm a super nerd. This is my disguise.
Drew: You wear a disguise?
Me: Yep, I left my nerd pants at home....now let's see. 2 X 50. What do you think that is?

2 comments:

  1. This really made me smile. I'm glad you've got some nerd solidarity in your classroom. Also, I like how you removed any stigma from the word 'nerd' by happily claiming to be one.

    -Annie Onymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ms. Onymous,
    Heavens, you should see my 8th grade year photo. But you won't, because I think I have shredded and burned all copies.

    Also, one thing I try to teach my students is that nerds make more money. Because they totally do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails