Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bread People

I have this student, let's call him Drew. Yes, the same Drew from Nerd Power. He has autism. And even though Drew exasperates me everyday with his lack of self direction and poor awareness that his teacher is mad and wants him to be quiet, Drew does things that brighten my life. As Drew would say "look at this, it's comedy gold!"

So during lunch last week Drew was like "Miss G, tell Caleb to stop coming over here. He's jealous of my bread people." I look at Drew's tray to see what he's talking about. There they are. The bread people. He mushed his sandwich bread into lumps, and then shaped them into different things, such as a squirrel, a person, a rhino, and a lizard. All out of bread, all very realistic. And all in twenty minutes. Then Drew set up a forest of broccoli on his tray. It's quite scenic.

I fully would have taken a picture of it with my cell phone, but food sculpture is not exactly a behavior I want to encourage. But still, it was funny.

2 comments:

  1. stumbled on your blog when searching for images of peanut butter m&ms... :) love the photos on your header... great bread people story... what more could a blog reader ask for? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Black Tag,
    Glad you stumbled upon me, though searching for images of peanut butter M&Ms is not nearly as good as searching for them in real life. I think I have a few in my desk drawer...Hope you stop by again,
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails