Monday, September 5, 2011

It Sucked and Then I Cried

I am currently reading the book It Sucked and Then I Cried, by Heather Armstrong. Heather is an ex-Mormon who has acquired a coffee addiction and liquor love since graduating from Brigham Young University. This disappoints her family, as you may imagine.
Heather's story is about how she went through hell during the pregnancy and baby raising of her first child, Leta. This sounds a bit depressing, and it is at points, because Heather has chronic depression and had to go off her meds for the pregnancy and first few months after giving birth, but somehow, Heather's ability to over exagerrate and imaginate makes for a funny story. Maybe I'm only laughing because I don't have a child and I am not pregnant.

I thought about getting this book for my friend Leslie, who is going to have her first baby this October, but then decided against it. Leslie's sense of humor cracks me up, and it seems like this is the sort of book she might like to read, because in fact it sort of sounds like the kind of story Leslie might write, but because of her fragile pregnant state, I kind of didn't want to risk it. I don't want her to start bawling her eyes out everyday and begin hiding in closets, because her husband Kaleb may begin to hate me. Leslie, if you are already crying and hiding in closets, then I am here for you. Just call me up. I've got a completely empty closet in my spare bedroom, and I can stock it with Kleenex, stat. Anyway, when Leslie's child is two years old, maybe I will then giver her a copy of  It Sucked and Then I Cried.

Heather and her 2nd baby, Marlo. I'm assuming she found the joy in motherhood considering she birthed another one.
I have not yet finished reading the book, but I can't put it down either. I estimate to be done with it in two days, tops. 

If you are the non-committal type and don't want to check something out from the library until you know more about it, you can discover Heather's personality through her website, Dooce.com.

Has anyone else read this book? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails