Thursday, December 30, 2010

Scandalous winking emoticon

Every once in a while I think about the inappropriateness that is the winking emoticon. You know, this guy  ; )  Who knew a semi-colon could be so forward? I mean, e-mail this message to a co-worker:
We need to get together sometime. 

and it seems totally legit. Like maybe you need to crunch some numbers or come up with a strategic plan. Or maybe even gossip about the boss.

But send this e-mail:
We need to get together sometime ; )

and I feel the message changes entirely. Like maybe that one-eyed smiley face is checking you out. Or it stole a private moment from you. That's the thing with winks. They're non-consensual. Someone winks at you, and you start to feel all these feelings or start to think new thoughts. Consider hugs or kisses or pats on the knee. You allow all of these with the proximity of your body. But not a wink. Someone can do that from across the room.

Real life winks cause delusions. I once had a person who winked at me frequently, and I came to believe they loved me or something. I was sorely mistaken. Just think of what emoticon winks might cause.  ; ) That face stares at you forever. You start to over analyze it. Because why didn't they just use the smiley face? = ) or : )   Surely that could have conveyed the emotion the author of the e-mail was trying to express. But no. They chose a wink. Which means something entirely different.

2 comments:

  1. I have this to say to you and teachers everywhere: DO NOT EVER WINK AT YOUR STUDENTS.

    I had a couple of teachers who used to wink at kids and it just felt like being molested by their eyes.

    The ONLY times a wink is appropriate are to let someone in on a joke like if you're pretending to be mad and you want them to know you're kidding while still keeping someone else in the dark. Also, if playing "wink murder".

    -Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Annie,
    Thanks for the advice. You are totally right. Winking at students is utterly wrong. I am actually terrible at winking and thus am not good at playing "wink murder." Good game, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails