Monday, December 13, 2010

Practical Gift Giving Ideas

In her book I Like You: hospitality under the influence, author and comedian Amy Sedaris devotes a chapter to gift giving. She makes suggestions for what would be best for different types of people.

Like, for a single man, Amy recommends an identification bracelet or socks. For a divorced man who works in an office: The Holy Bible, a paint chip wheel, or frozen chicken thighs. For preteen girls: diary, a book about horses, or colored cotton balls. For a nun: cheese, soap, shower caps, or raisins.

People hate to be saddled with gifts that they can't use. I love to get stuff I actually need. You know, all those essentials that you must have to function but are annoying to buy, since they add up?

So here is the revised practical list I will probably give my family, no joke
1) Soft Lips chapstick (preferred flavor: vanilla)
2) Glide dental floss
3) toothbrush
4) toilet paper
5) Zip Lock sandwich bags
6) 2 cent make-up stamps (quantity required: 7)
7) razor blades
8) shaving cream (preferred scent: raspberry)
9) Warm Vanilla Sugar Bath and Body hand soap
10) Vitamin B
11) Airborne
13) My library fines paid off
14) an interior passenger side door handle for a '98 Toyota Corolla
15) Ibuprofen
16) colored envelopes
17) printer ink
18) a baking sheet because Britt still has mine (since August) and I keep forgetting to get it from her
19) AA batteries
20) Scotch tape

NO CALENDARS! I already have a hot men of Hawaii calendar, compliments of my sister's last vacation-- you know, the one she took with out me.

This is an Amy Sedaris recommended easy craft. You take glue saturated toothpicks, roll them in glitter, and then stab them into a marshmallow. Then you have beautiful winter stars to share with the whole family!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear that I am not the only person who doesn't hate on the simple things. A girl can use a little practical in her life.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails