Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Sun Used to Shine

There used to be a bright side to teaching, but it is currently under an eclipse. Let me tell you about when rays of sun used to beam in room C6. You know, despite the fact that our classroom has no windows.

I know that my kids last year loved me and still love me, and they know that I thought they were special. I get about three old students (now 5th graders) popping into my room in the morning, or saying hi to me after school, or giving me hugs during recess drop-off. It was mostly the girls, but Tyler is faithful to me after school every day, and three of my favorite boys visited in the morning on Tuesday. I hear from the 5th grade teachers how it is so weird that these kids are so good, and I like to think they are talking about the kids that were in my class.

What I enjoyed the most about my class from last year was that they left me loving Jerry Spinelli as much as I do. You mention Jerry Spinelli to any one of my old kids, and I guarantee their eyes will light up. After our second Jerry Spinelli book, I remember TJ saying "I think Jerry Spinelli is one of the most genius authors of our time." This comment, from the 10 year old kid who loves football. We laughed over Fourth Grade Rats. We cried over Eggs. Our futures were changed during The Library Card. And all three of those things happened during Maniac Magee. Then there was Steven, who was a high level reader and had the privilege of reading Wringer independently.

Those were the moments that I have to hold on to, in hopes that they will happen again.

Thank you so much to the people who have sent me encouraging messages. It's nice to hear those things from someone besides my mom. I was happily surprised on Wednesday. And maybe I was a bit pathetic and teared up slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails