Thursday, September 2, 2010

Recalculating...your soul

Let's be honest. I don't know who you are. You could be a perfect stranger, or my best friend, or somebody I'm trying to impress. Let's forget the pretense; I'm going to be straight with you.

Life is like you're driving along with the guidance of a GPS, trying to reach your end goal. You've punched in the address you want to get to, you've selected your favorite male accent to read you the lefts and rights, you're just listening for what to do next.
But you keep making mistakes and are really bad at reading maps and just recently learned which way is North at age 24. God is the GPS, and every time you make a wrong move, he recalculates you. This path isn't going to work out so he takes you on a different route. It could have worked, but you messed up, or someone else changed things for you, so now your path has been recalculated by the Almighty GPS.

It is said so calmly, too. "Recalculating." Never a "don't worry, I'll get you there," not a "boy, you really screwed that one up," just a simple "recalculating."

But this is how I feel. I feel like my car has a dead battery or a flat tire and my brakes are out or I've taken 25 wrong turns. I get no cell reception and my triple A card has expired. Everything is so lost that there is hardly a hope of getting back on the right road. I've felt like God has abandoned me. Straight up left me on the side of the road. Or maybe in the middle of the road with a pile of cars lined up behind me, honking at me fiercely and telling me to get the hell out of the way.

I feel like there's some fatal end to all of this. Now that I'm lost on a country road all by myself, my car's engine is going to ignite into flames. And I don't have a fire extinguisher.

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 138:8 “The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me.”

    Jeremiah 29:11 (message) “I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out – plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.”

    Romans 5:3-5 (message) “There’s more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we’re never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary – we can’t round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit.”

    Philippians 1:6 (message) “There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.”

    Philippians 4:6-7 (message) “Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.”

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails