Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Last September

I think this may be the last September. I pray to God that it will be. I had hope that things would take a turn for the better, but instead we've turned a sharp corner and rammed straight into a pile of garbage cans. I'm not sure how much longer my voice will hold out. I was on the elliptical at the gym (first time in about 5 weeks), thinking that maybe this is the last September I will need to prepare for. That my last first day of school may have passed for good. That this could be it.

If you have a child who goes to school, then I hope you pray for their teacher. They need it more than anything. God bless teachers, they are abused. I did the math and I get paid $0.81 to teach each child per hour. If I had a child, I think I would be willing to spend much more than that. I mean, heavens, would you hire a tutor for your child who thought 81 freaking cents was fair? I would pay more and I would request that their class size was no larger than 15. Teachers can't save everyone, we just can't.

I did some more math and did a very low-ball estimate that last year I spent an extra 245 hours at school. Minimum. That is the equivalent to 30 work days. Would you want to work for 30 days for free? I mean, lord, try paying your rent with that kind of wage. 

I'm not trying to make myself out to be a martyr. I'm just telling you that I don't think I can last much longer. I keep thinking back to a book I read about time and finances, and how you need to tell yourself "I am not on sale." Because I swear, everyone seems to think teachers are on sale. That we should go for a bargain. And we do. You are getting a damned good deal.

But enough of that. Let me tell you about how recently I have been consuming a lot of Dove chocolate, because 1) the chocolate is divine, and 2) the wrappers have little messages that I sort of take as cryptic letters from God or whatever. I kept this one that said "What would you do if you could not fail?" Because what would I do? My word, I have a list. It's the list that excites me to think about, the list that makes me bubble with joy to think about.

And I think to myself, what would I give to get out? What would I do to rescue myself from this? I think about how much time I have wasted not doing what I love, and of how much time I have spent trying to do something that I thought I would love. And I think of how I have failed.

I am not usually one to give up. But there comes a point when you need to realize it's just not worth it. This September is it.

3 comments:

  1. Hugs Joelle. You make a difference to your students- I'm SURE of it. I'm sorry you are so unappreciated financially. You deserve so much more. I never thought about praying for my childrens' teachers. But of course. I know when I had bigger kids in my home how important their teachers were to them. My 10 year old cared about his 5th grade teacher so much. She was kind to him and genuienly cared about him and he craved that so desprately. You are making a difference. I am thankful to the years you have given these students. Wishing you happiness in what comes next September, whatever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get your novels published. I honestly believe that you could make it writing novels. Hell, reading your blog is about as entertaining as reading a novel for me. I've read my fair share of crap young-adult fiction, and what you're writing is better than a lot of it.

    -Anonymous creeper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Amanda. = ) Yes, praying for your child's teacher would be appreciated, I'm sure. Even if they manage to hold it together when you talk to them.

    Dear Anonymous Creeper,
    You must be reading my mind. I've made a promise to myself to have one of my novels edited and in the mail to a publisher by November 12th, when I turn the ripe old age of 25. But now I have to actually do it, because I've told you about it. Follow up on me, 'kay? I try to keep my word.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails