Friday, September 17, 2010

If you're not a princess you have to rescue yourself

I don't own a tiara. Not even a little one from Claire's. The white horse wasn't mine. I don't sleep in a canopy bed, and my maid service never showed up. Like Taylor Swift said, I'm not a princess and this ain't a fairy tale.

Now I've got to rescue myself. No one is coming after me to get me out of this mess. If only I could freeze time like Briar Rose. One hundred years of sleep sounds blissful right now.

What I've got to do is pull up my britches and get to work. I've got to learn to tread water fast, because I was too dumb to put on the life preserver, and no one's throwing me a floating ring. It's no one's job to rescue me, and no one's going to volunteer for it either. Taking care of me is something no one will ever do. I vainly think, who is stronger than me? Who has more of a Titan shell than I do? But then I must think, whose core is as broken as well? Perhaps instead I am mistaking hardness for strength.

But I suppose at this point it doesn't much matter, because when I was soft it didn't do me any good either. I just cried more. When no one is there to wipe your tears away, you learn to hold it in.

No, this is a rescue I'll be forced to do alone. The thing about not being a princess is that you've got to steal the horse for your getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails