Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Toothpaste, toilets, & technicalities

My mom has this toothpaste at her house made especially for sensitive teeth. Every time I use it, it makes me foam at the mouth like a dog with rabies. I use less than a pea sized drop, but still, it's a foam party in my mouth every time. I wasn't curious enough to compare the ingredients list to that of my regular toothpaste, so I'm not sure what the cause is.

While we are on the topic of toothpaste, which is stored in bathrooms, I'd like to shift to the topic of bathrooms in general, mainly, the point of carpet in bathrooms. I mean, really? Are you serious? Blue shag by the toilet? Who thought of that idea? Not that the bathroom at my parents' house has blue shag. It totally doesn't. It has really cold tile. But my great-grandma's house used to have this really nubby tan carpet in the bathroom. I thought it was weird. Because it is, right? I mean, you wouldn't put carpet in a kitchen, so why the bathroom?

Also, I am fairly certain that there was pink carpet in the bathroom of the Tanner's house on Full House. However, due to the fact that my cable has been cancelled for, oh, six months, I cannot watch a re-run to confirm this suspicion. But I am pretty sure that on the episode where Stephanie dropped her mother's jewelry down the sink, there was carpet in the bathroom. Now, I know it was just a set with a fake bathroom, but why bother to put carpet in a faux bathroom? Why? Because it was cheap. Cheaper than tile. They probably just had it sitting around, so the set designers threw it down and stapled it to the floor.

This may be TMI for you, but while we are on the topic of bathrooms, I'm going to share a toilet story with you. While I was in Mexico (where actual seats are a luxury and toilet paper costs tres pesos) I was at a park that had mini toilets for kids. They were super tiny and I decided to pop a squat over one of these rather than balance myself precariously over a seatless adult sized toilet. It was a lot easier to use the kid sized ones since I have short legs. This is one thing I don't get: Mexico can't afford to outfit their public toilets with seats, yet they have cute mini toilets. Why haven't I seen these in America? I think our parks should have child sized porcelain thrones as well.

This is totally off topic, and you are probably glad for that, considering all the toilet talk, but I just remembered it because of the sentence I just wrote, "I think our..." Two nights ago I was reading Jerry Spinelli's new book Smiles To Go, when I noticed something funny on page 49. It said "It's just that we all have are differences, nothing in common." I was like, excuse me, but that is supposed to be our, not are. I know that when we speak, we often slur the vowel and make it sound like are, but it's not. You would think that in writing, in a published book, someone would have caught this. Maybe I should change my profession to a copy editor.

2 comments:

  1. i get so distracted when i find typos. i seriously obsess over them sometimes. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and that's my dirty little nerdy little secret.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails