Wednesday, October 1, 2008

How I almost self-combusted

Yesterday I almost posted this: "I know this is way early to say, considering I've only been teaching for four weeks, but I find myself thinking about alternate careers. Because I don't know if I can really do this." But today I feel differently, because my students and I had a pretty good day. Based on the dramatic emotional change that occurred over the past 24 hours, I have since decided not to make any life altering decisions until I have taught for at least half a year. Possibly a year. That said, I am eating Lucky Charms for dinner because I got home really late and didn't feel like making anything.

Also, everyday I keep thinking I'll get fired. Even though I had good students today, I thought I might get fired because (and don't tell anyone this) I was fifteen (or maybe twenty) minutes late to work due to an unforeseen accident that was blocking a road I had to drive on. At 7:43 I broke the speed limit. The clock in my car hit 7:54 and I felt my blood pressure rise. At 7:58 I about had an aneurysm because I wasn't even over the (effing) bridge yet. I stopped looking at the clock hoping that God would stop time. I peeked at it at 8:03 and started thinking about how I could sneak into school unnoticed. 8:08 and I about rammed into the car in front of me. 8:10 my eyes bulged out. 8:11 I started to calm down. 8:15 I about wet myself. 8:17 I swerved. 8:18 I leaped from my car like it was on fire. 8:19 my stomach cringed. 8:23 I felt safe in my classroom. 8:24 I acted like I had been there for hours. 8:25 I got fired. Just kidding. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails