Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Wishes

On the last day of school before break, I had my 4th grade students write wish lists. On the front side of the paper they wrote down everything they wanted for Christmas. Besides iPods, cell phones, and video games, the top item requested was new shoes and new clothes. After the kids had fun talking about what they really wanted, I had them flip their paper over and make a list of all the things they wished for that cannot be bought with money. When they were done with their lists, they sealed them in an envelope and I put a pinch of magic Christmas powder (silver glitter) in them. The students had an option of giving the envelope to their parent, me, or to address it to Santa.

Below is a compilation of their lists, boys and girls mixed. Seeing their secret wishes scrawled out in nine-year-old penmanship was a very strong experience for me. I expected some answers from certain kids, other ones surprised me.

The Lists

I wish the stray black cat could live with me.
I wish my grandma and my dad could be nice to my grandpa.
I wish my mom was alive and healthy.
I wish I had more friends.

I wish I could see King Kong.
I wish I had super powers.
I wish I could be skinnier.

I wish to see my dad.
I can spend more time with my mom.
I wish my family to have a good year.

I wish my grandma was alive.
I wish my uncle was alive.
I wish my mom and dad never got a divorce.
I wish my dad never met Tara.

I wish for my dad home.
I wish for my mom better.
I wish my brother to be nice.

I wish for my mother to be happy when her baby comes out.
I wish for me and my family to have a Happy Christmas.

I wish to have a better family.

I wish my cousin got closer to her family.
I wish I got closer to my brother.

I wish for:
Snow
Family
Friends
My mom to be home on Christmas Eve
I wish my sister’s dad was alive
I wish my sister was not so mad all the time
I wish I could see my aunt Maggi

I wish for my brother to live with me.
I wish to see my dad more.

I wish for:
Happy family
Spend more time with Dad

I wish my brother wouldn’t be mean to me.
I get better at writing.
I get better at math.

I wish for:
Less school
More family time
No more bad polluters
Go to college early
To not go to 212
Stop cutting trees down so we have more oxygen
For more friends and bros.

Curious a little? Heart break a little? I'm doing my best to remember what is most important this Christmas, and I hope you can too.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails