Monday, July 11, 2011

stuff christians like

There is a blog I cannot get enough of and it is called Stuff Christians Like. I wish I would have discovered this like a thousand posts ago, because Jon Acuff is so funny and dead on that I want to read every post he ever wrote. Stuff Christians Like is a satire. When Jon published his book, it didn't go over so well with everybody who wears a cross necklace. I am not one of those people. I love reading Stuff Christians Like. Here is a very short excerpt from Rebelling against pew pencils

"A few weeks ago, I lost my favorite pen on my way to sitting down in the sanctuary at church. My first reaction was to put the church on lockdown and bring in the pen-sniffing dogs. The greeters at the Info Hub didn’t go for that idea. As a result, I was stuck taking notes with one of those stubby pew pencils with no erasers. By the end of the sermon, I had a wicked sweaty cramp in my hand.Why do churches use these?"


Once a week Jon has Serious Wednesday, where he does not poke fun at anything, but instead prods your heart. Seriously, read his blog.

Another blog that I can't get enough of is Calling All Cool Moms. I am not a mother, nor do I want to become one in the immediate future, but Julie is hilarious and writes a blog that would crack up anybody, not just moms. Here is a rather long excerpt, because Julie's writing is so engaging I just didn't know where to stop.
"This week, I came as close to a heart attack as my young(ish) body will hopefully ever get.  I was peacefully sleeping (thanks to my Pinot nightcap) and dreaming of Johnny Depp (more Captain Jack Sparrow, less Edward Scissorhands), when my son slammed open the bedroom door and screamed: “MOMMY!!!”

I was so stunned I couldn’t speak, didn’t know where I was, and was pretty sure I could feel my heart beating in my eyeballs.  Also?  I was beyond confused at my child’s perfectly clean face, considering that he was screaming, “I HAVE A BLOODY NOSE!”  I was (fairly) certain I hadn’t chased my Pinot with an Ambien, or I would have chalked it all up to hallucinations.  (Sidenote: Did you hear about all the sleepwalking/eating/driving that is possible when you take Ambien?  It’s a good thing my local Target isn’t open 24 hours, because I’m pretty sure that’s where my subconscious would want to hang out.  And something tells me it would give in and buy the sparkly jelly shoes I covet every time I’m there, even though they are for toddlers.)"
 Read more of Julie here, on Calling All Cool Moms.


Have you discovered any blogs you just love love love and adore? And you wish you had discovered them in their infancy, because now you have twenty hours of back reading to do?

Also, my friend Natalie makes fun of me for having a Twitter account, but that is how I discovered both of these awesome writers. So by association, Twitter is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails