Monday, July 18, 2011

Roo's Crib

My sister, brother, and I built this stellar rabbit crib for Roo a few weeks ago. Jess plotted the architectural design after I sketched out what I envisioned, Travis did all the sawing and nailing, and I did trivial yet important tasks that a non-construction type person might do. For example, I added charisma and motivation to the two and a half hour project. All the materials were purchased at Home Depot.
 It was a very sturdy, quality built cage to start with, but I wanted to make the hutch look more like home, so I added a few designer touches.
In case you didn't notice, Roo's house is basically a mini version of mine, as both are painted the same exact shade of brown-gray and have white trim. I nailed on protective roof shingles to shield against the incessant rain Oregon has, added on a flower box, a tiny turquoise bird house, and a mailbox on the right. Let's take an up-close look at that mailbox.
His mailbox is white just like mine.
You can mail Roo a carrot or an apple, or seeds for his garden.
Roo is really into gardening. He likes to watch his strawberry plants get ripe.
The roof of Roo's house lifts up so that I can get him out. The enclosed box on the right is his bedroom and has a mattress of hay for him to nest in. The mesh wire part is his kitchen and living room. That gray thing in the corner is his bathroom. Roo is a very clean rabbit and only drops raisins in his litter box.

Just about every day I bring Roo in for cuddle time. We sit on the couch and I pet his fluffy rabbit head. After cuddle time is play time. He loves to race around the living room, shimmy under the couch, and leap into the air like Michael Jordon. After a while he is plumb wore out. For some reason Roo enjoys lounging on the air vents in my house. There are three in the area that he hops around in, and he will plop down on any of them. When he rests, he never just snoozes on the carpet. It's gotta be a vent.
Roo's fur is the exact same shade as my carpet. This either makes him nervous, or it is comforting to him since he has good camouflage.
He may like it because the metal is cooler than the carpet.

1 comment:

  1. Joelle,
    Make sure there is no direct sun on his hutch. Even though he under roof still very hot and can kill your rabbit. Has to be in the shading area all time. We lost two of our rabbits like this. Have a 2 liter bottle fill it with water and make ice out of it. They will snuggle next to it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails