Sunday, July 31, 2011

How I hate Captcha because it makes me feel like less of a person

I've never really worried that much about my physical abilities. There are, of course, some things I can or can't do, or do differently. For example, I require step stools and ladders for high places. However, I can shimmy up things that people at five-foot-seven may fear. My gymnastics training was not so much for athletic performance as it was for every day life navigation skills.

 I am aware of my shortcomings, but there is something on-line that actually makes me feel physically disabled. It's called Captcha, and the name alone is enough to make you feel captured. A more appropriate name would be Gotcha. I hate Captcha. I understand that it is trying to prevent against spammers and all that, but it usually takes me three or four tries to correctly guess what secret letters I'm supposed to be viewing as a real-life person with a brain and not an internet auto-bot.
If you can read these, leave the answers in the comment box. Winners will be notified via string and tin-can.
 Next to those impossibly formed letters is a little wheelchair button, like people without legs can't view Captcha either, because the movement of your left calf is what controls your ability to see squished together words or not.
Notice the insulting blue wheelchair.
I think to myself "it would just be easier if I pushed the disabled button, instead of sitting here trying to guess what this says." But I don't click on it, because it would give my self-confidence a jolt to do so. I am not disabled. I am fully abled. But that is a lie. There are many things I am not able to do, and while I have perfect vision as confirmed by the eye doctor last May, I cannot see Captcha characters. It's something I just have to accept.

In case you were wondering what CAPTCHA stands for, it's "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart." According to Wikipedia, which is now being used in public schools more often than text book references, A CAPTCHA is a means of automatically generating challenges which intends to:
  • Provide a problem easy enough for all humans to solve. Way to make me feel stupid.
  • Prevent standard automated software from filling out a form, unless it is specially designed to circumvent specific CAPTCHA systems. 
That part about being easy enough for all humans to solve is really offending. If six-year olds can read Captcha, and 86 year olds can read Captcha, I feel like I am lacking in intelligence. But I am not all humans. I am Joelle, uniquely designed with a Captcha disablity. Like baseball caps or plastic gloves, one-size-fits-all has never really been my style.

2 comments:

  1. Haha my sentiments exactly! I hate it when I have to refresh like 3 or 4 times because I couldn't read it. Frustrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone hates captcha, don't take it so personally.

    Incidentally, black text on a dark green background can also be rather difficult to read...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails