Sunday, January 3, 2010

Giving Sam H. Rides

When I was a senior in high school I had to give rides to this really annoying sophomore kid named Sam H. Whenever I gave him rides I had to child lock the windows so he wouldn't roll them down and yell obscene things out the window. The first time I gave him a ride, it was a red light at an intersection. There was a pedestrian waiting at the crosswalk. So what does Sam do? He rolls down the window and yells something rude at the pedestrian. The light turned green and I drove away as quickly as possible. Sam's all "It's okay, I know that guy." Great, but I still don't want people to associate my car with your foul mouth.

Another thing I did when I had to give Sam rides is blast my Christian rock music. During Sam's first ride, he said something to me that made me worry for his soul, and the direction it was headed. Playing Skillet and Sanctus Real was my solution.

The reason I had to give Sam rides was because I was the president of the community service club, and I had organized after school tutoring twice a week at the local elementary school. Most of the other tutors had cars and could get there on their own, but Sam didn't. I wasn't about to let a volunteer slip away--you know, because it was for the children and all that--so I offered Sam a ride. This was before I found out how annoying he was. He talked all the time, always trying to convince me of something new. This made sense, as he was on the speech and debate team.

One time I had to drive him home afterward. He failed to mention to me that he lived out in the countryside, so we passed cattle and chicken coops on our way there. I had to drive up and down all these hills, listening to Sam blather on about who knows what. I've tried to block most of it from my memory, but I can still picture that face, his mouth talking away in the passenger seat of my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails