Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I look good for having had a baby

Apparently I have an infant. I don't know how it happened or who the father is, but I've been told I look really good for having given birth to a baby. Excuse me?

Today I went to this teacher workshop thing (day one of seven) and met like, six other teachers who work at the same school that I will be teaching at. I was talking to a teacher named Melissa who was asking me about my teaching experience. I explained that I had worked for a few months at a school temporarily because the teacher was on maternity leave. Or at least I thought I had explained. Melissa says, "Oh, well you look really great." While I thought the long term substitute position had been stressful, I didn't really think it would physically tax me in a noticeable way. Which is why a comment about my appearance was kind of weird. I said "Thank you" anyway, because it was the polite thing to say.

Then Melissa says, "So how old is your baby?"

I am very puzzled, because I don't know. Negative eight years old, perhaps? "Oh, I don't have a baby," I reply.

"I thought you said you were on maternity leave."

I laugh. "No. I was subbing for a teacher who was on maternity leave. I don't have any children."

She laughs and is obviously embarrassed. Even though it wasn't my mistake, I feel a bit embarrassed as well. I mean, she thought I had a baby and worked off my pregnancy weight. Or did she think I had a bit left to lose? It's just a good thing she didn't say "You look pretty good for having had a baby" or "You don't look too bad."

Because I do not have a child. Not even an imaginary one.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow. How did I miss your whole pregnancy? Joelle, I thought we agreed to share these things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails