Saturday, January 21, 2012

People say "start something." Why don't you finish instead?

Basing a novel off of a diary you kept when you were 14 years old isn't necessarily the best idea in the literary world, unless of course your name was Anne Frank. Taking the lamentations of a high school freshman, adding fictional scenes involving boys you used to crush on, and weaving in a CIA theme is quite a lot of work for very little pay off.

I've decided this year that I'm going to be a finisher. People who make the biggest impact are not the people who start things. They are the people who finish things. You can come up with a great idea all you want and begin it, but if it never gets completed, then you've wasted your time. Nobody wants to live in house that is only partly built.

By February 29th, I am determined to finish writing the novel that I started when I was 16 years old. The story is 95% done, but after opening up the document today and reading the first thousand words, I decided that quite a large overhaul is needed. This is what happens when you base your first fictional novel off of your own juvenile diary. You find out ten years later what a big moron you really were.

The ending result may not be publish worthy, but at least it will be finished. I will be able to say "I finished writing a book." There is satisfaction in finishing, and I'm sure it will inspire me to finish the other three novels I've started.

Do you have anything that you want to finish this year?

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails