Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bad employee is a security risk

I may or may not have let a con-man into the lobby of my workplace. I let a lot of people into the building even though I have no idea who they are.

I started a part-time job three weeks ago that involves me sitting in front of a computer screen writing curriculum and researching things on-line. The thing is, this computer screen is located at a work station that looks suspiciously like a receptionist desk. I got put there on my first day of work because the computer was available and had access to the network drive.

This job of mine isn't fancy enough to warrant my own office or my own desk or my own company e-mail. Instead I get to fake like I know what I'm doing. I sit at this desk for about four hours a day and type things that make me look smart, which is really hard work. But all you have to do to impress somebody is use specialized language they don't understand, and then add on "Do you want me to explain what that means?" So I sit at this desk that is located in the front lobby. People come in the door all the time and I ignore them because I assume that they work here too. I don't know all of the employees, and they don't wear any sort of special blue vest with a smiley face on it to identify that they work here.

One afternoon I was typing away when I finally realized that there was a woman standing on the other side of the desk. I pretended like I could help her. Then pretty soon more people would stop and wait at the desk like I was supposed to know what was going on in the place. I wanted to say "the reason I have no idea what you're talking about is because I just started working here and being a receptionist is not why they hired me. I don't even answer the phone when it rings." But lousy workers always throw that out there. "I just started. It's my first week. I broke up with my boyfriend two months ago and it's affecting my work competency. " I don't say any of that. Instead what I do is listen to their three minute explanation of what they need, nod and smile--even though I have no idea what they are talking about, and then I say "Let me get Rosie for you."

Rosie is an actual legitimate employee that has a set of keys to the place and everything. She's got her own desk and her own office. Rosie leaves at about three o'clock everyday, and when she does, she locks the glass lobby doors. This doesn't prevent people from trying to get in.

And okay, I get it. There's a girl working at a desk right behind the glass, and the lights are on. The door should be unlocked. But I'm not the receptionist and I have no idea how to help you, so what I do when you try to get in is look up at you and decide if I should open the door or not, based on your appearance and level of desperation.

Half the time the person is an employee without a key. Or at least I think they are. They say thanks and walk past me like they knew where they are going, so I'm not sure if they really do work here or if they just want to see how much equipment there is to steal.

This one time a man wearing dirty clothes and gloves knocked on the glass, so I got out of my seat and let him in. He asked me where the bathroom was. I showed him. At first I wondered if I was going to get in trouble for letting random people in to use the staff bathroom, but a half hour and two conversations later, I discovered the man was not a hobo. Which just goes to show you, you should never deny anybody bathroom privileges based on their appearance. This is also why I let men carrying rifles into the building. I don't want to say "sorry, you look like a terrorist," and not let them in, just to find out later that they work for a paintball recreation park and are here to give a professional presentation.

Basically, you could be an assassin and I'd let you in if you stood at the door long enough. I'd assume that you work here. Today a 17 year old kid came in and asked if he could go see the Executive Director in his office, and I said "Sure, why not?" Because the kid seemed like he knew it would be okay, that it wasn't a big deal.

After reading this post, you might think that I am a really bad employee and that I don't value security. I will have you know that as an ex-teacher, I totally am up to code with stranger protocol. Once these teen girls wanted to get into the school to use the bathroom, but I had to turn them away because I was the only one in the building and there are RULES. But if you hire me and don't tell me the rules, I'll do whatever seems nice, including giving away the keys to the company van. 

1 comment:

  1. Jojo,

    You are freakin' hilarious. If you ever get thrown in jail for being an accomplice to van theft, I'll totally be a character witness for you.

    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails