Thursday, November 18, 2010

Paper Facebook

Last week I had to confiscate a laptop from one of my 4th graders. It was distracting her. What was she doing in class instead of reading? Facebooking. This is what her self-made computer looked like. Notice she didn't X out fast enough before I caught her. That button must be stuck.

 What you need to do is click on the image so you can view it in full size. This piece of paper was folded in half so that the screen was standing up and the keyboard was flat on the desk. These are the things you might notice:

She's on Facebook, of course, but her other open tab is YouTube.
She's listening to You Ain't Gonna Tie Me Down.
She looks a bit disgruntled in her profile picture.
She has 8 friends.
Her status is "I'm so bored," but I stole her computer before she could click share.
The friends who showed up in her news feed were Kelley and Melissa.
Two friends are online.
She's Facebook chatting with Marsha. The conversation reads:
hi.
hi.
what are you doing.
nothing, why.
just asking.
oh

Now let's take a look at her innovative keyboard. It has the numbers across the top, of course, along with Bakespace, which is a lot like backspace, except that you bake tasty cupcakes when you push it.
She has a non-qwerty standard keyboard. Instead, the keys are in alphabetical order.
There are arrow navigation keys.

My verdict? Facebook has its grips on even our youngest youth. They're thinking about it even when they aren't near a computer.

5 comments:

  1. this seriously made me cry, i was laughing so hard. absolutely hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is most disturbing is that this 9 year old girl has committed the Facebook home page to memory. After I confiscated her lap top, she made another one three hours later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't lie. My 10-year old draws keyboards/computer screens on notebook paper. As far as I know, this doesn't happen at school. Yikes. Check out this post about the special drawing she did happen to make for me at school....http://mostlydazedoftenconfused.blogspot.com/2010/01/you-might-be-wino.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Courtney,
    I checked out your link. I wouldn't be worried about your daughter's drawing, as long as she wasn't drawing blood in a glass because she suspects you are a vampire.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails