Thursday, February 9, 2012

The phone call that changed my heart

Maybe you've been to church and heard those outrageous stories about the woman who lost her job, didn't have enough money to pay rent, but trusted in God and gave her weekly tithe anyway. Then a fatty check just appears in her mailbox the next day. Or that story of how a man knew God was asking him to give up $1000 to an African missionary, but what he really wanted was to buy a new MacBook. He relinquishes the money, but four weeks later he ends up receiving an unexpected $1500. I've heard those stories. I believed they were from God, but I never thought outrageous blessings like that would happen to me.

But one did.

Several weeks ago I received a completely unexpected phone call. It changed how I see myself and miracles. They can happen to me. See, a few days earlier I had received the first building facility rental bill for Bible Club. We don't get to use the space for free, if that's what you were thinking. The per hour price is very reasonable, but it adds up when you are there four days a week for a month and only have a temporary part-time job.

When I first got the bill in the mail, my stomach dropped. The bill wasn't a surprise, but it wasn't a blessing either. I battled in my head if I should ask if people wanted to sponsor the club and pay the rental fee for us. Then I decided that was the wrong thing, because I fully was capable of paying this bill, it just wasn't a joy. I started this project and I was determined to carry it through. I didn't begin Bible Club expecting others to take care of it. I did it because I knew it's what God wanted me to do.

Then that phone call came. The person on the other end wanted to give me money to pay the building fee because she wanted in on this thing. She wanted to share it with me. She wasn't some rich 40 year old woman with loads of money to toss out. She is a young woman not living in a mansion who could have spent her money in other ways. But God had blessed her and she wanted to bless others through that. I love that.

So now I've received enough money to:
*Pay building rental fees for Bible Club through the end of the school year
*Buy children's bibles for all of the students who participate
*Put on a family game and dessert night
*and more! Because God has planned more.

The day I got that phone call, I felt so incredibly blessed. God has good things to give me. That wasn't something I believed in before. I knew that God loves me and will take care of me, but I never thought an outstanding blessing like this was for me. Those happen to other people.

It was a great feeling knowing that somebody wanted to support what I do. That somebody said "Hey, I want in on that." It wasn't a pleading or a begging, but someone's desire. That has power in it.

So I want to give a big shout out to:
God, because you have good things planned for me. You will take care of me and bless me when I don't expect it. I'm sorry I didn't believe that before.

Anonymous Donor. I know who you are, you know who you are, and I thank you very much for what you have done. I'm not sure if you want other people to know it's you, so I didn't mention your name, but please let me know if it's okay to let others know what a wonderful gift you gave. Thank you for wanting in on this. Thank you for the encouragement. God is going to bless you even more, I know it. You are beautiful, inside and out.

Emily. I don't do Bible Club alone, folks. My friend Emily jumped right on the chance to help me out when I told her what I was starting. She is incredibly enthusiastic and knows her stuff. It's such a blessing to have her there with me in the mornings.

God wants to give you good things. Believe it.

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE that God is blessing you, Joelle. You are an incredible woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It couldn't have happened to a better person with a more noble cause. I love how God has blessed you, and I have no doubt He will continue to shower blessings upon you.
    Miss you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought a tear to my eye! How great is it when God blesses us like this? So clear you are doing what you need to be doing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails