Saturday, June 11, 2011

when someone who sorts souls in the Underworld falls in love with you

I love author Meg Cabot because she is a complete genius and knows how to suck female readers of all ages into her stories. I even like her weird, supernatural type books (I'm thinking Avalon High and Insatiable). The most recent book of hers I read was Abandon, which is about this girl who dies for a minute and then comes back to life. Only the whole book is based around the Greek mythology of Persephone and Hades.
 Basically, when the main character, Pierce, dies and goes to the Underworld, this hot but moody guy gives her a diamond necklace and wants to keep her there, but Pierce gets freaked out and tries to leave him, and then the epinephrine kicks in and she is resuscitated by the doctors just in time. She wakes up from being dead, relieved. Only John (the hot guy who works in the Underworld) has the ability to appear to Pierce in real life, and it really freaks her out because he keeps showing up randomly. I don't want to give the whole story away, but I realize it's rather weird. I only read it because Meg Cabot wrote it.

So even though the subject matter wasn't a specific interest of mine, I still read the book in only two days. Meg Cabot isn't trying to be a weird-o, she's just imagining what Greek mythology might be like in our modern day. And oh, this is teen literature. Which is always a lot juicier than adult fiction, in my opinion. I can totally relate to teen stories. I cannot relate to 35 year old protagonists who have three kids and a husband who is leaving them. I think my heart is still like a teenage girls', so I am very drawn to YA fiction.

I'm really excited to start my summer reading on Friday, June 17th. I've got like, 58 books on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails