Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rapture Reflection

I'm still here. The world did not end. While the future coming of Christ is very real, I really couldn't help but have a joking attitude with the whole May 21st thing. I mean, God doesn't need to advertise on a billboard. I was a little bit sad that Jesus didn't whisk me up to heaven on Saturday, because that means I have to go to work this week.

 On Friday I read a Twitter status that said, "I wonder if Ashton Kutcher is behind all this May 21st Rapture business. It would be the greatest episode of Punk'd ever."

And then when I was on the way to Portland with friends, we were joking about Rapture day pranks. Like, maybe we should set out full sets of clothes and shoes and everything out on our yards to make it look like we disappeared. Or we could leave a set of clothes in a car that was left with the engine running. 


I spent most of Saturday with the ever lovely Leslie, Casey, Kaitlynn, and Natalie. All four of them have May birthdays and we celebrated by eating waffles, getting pedicures, and going to the Chinese Garden in Portland. When I got home, I was catching up on episodes of Nikita when my phone rang. I knew from the ring tone that it was Natalie. But Alex was being questioned in the zapper chair by Amanda, so I didn't answer the call. Then Natalie rang again. I decided it must be important so I answered it. She was very relieved to hear my voice. It was 6:03pm and she was calling to see if I was still on Earth. 


"Just making sure you're still here," she said.
"I am."
"Okay, good."


Today at church, my pastor opened up by saying, "Well, I'm sorry we didn't get raptured." He's such a kick in the pants. In fact, if you want to hear his opening, my church puts the audio of the sermons on-line, so here's a link to today. I love this guy. He's a gem.


What I am most wondering right now is: what's God thinking? Is he laughing at human's attempts to uncover the time of his arrival? Cringing that non-believers might think that all Christians are scam artists? Making rapture jokes of his own?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails