Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sexual harassment tip

All teachers in the district are required to take an on-line sexual harassment prevention course. It takes all of 10 minutes and you fill out a test at the end. I copy and pasted my favorite slide.

"To be safe, avoid comments on dress and appearance except of the most general kind, (i.e., You sure look bright and cheery today!). If you feel an impulse to tell the person how beautiful her blue eyes are, or how handsome his rugged jaw is, back off! You're over the line."

Because I've definitely wanted to comment on someone's rugged jaw before. Man, it is a good thing I kept my lips zipped. Tomorrow I'll tell someone they look bright and cheery. Though it will probably be a lie.

Teachers are also required to take a child abuse reporting course. While child abuse is no laughing matter, I found I could relate to the information from this slide:

"Poisoning is also a form of physical abuse. For example, Joey tells you that it hurts to swallow. When asked to tell you more, he explains that he got in trouble and his mom made him eat hot peppers.

Poisoning may involve:
forcing a child to drink excessive amounts of water
intentionally misusing prescription medication."

When I was eight my dad paid me twenty-five cents to drink a quart of water in under five minutes. I was afraid I wouldn't make the time, so I chugged really fast and got it down in three minutes. The water was in a rinsed out quart jar that previously held applesauce. This means the water tasted like applesauce, which wasn't so great. I felt sick afterwards, didn't eat dinner, but I was a silver president richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails