Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Spiced Pumpkin Smoothie

My new fall kick is pumpkin smoothies. They are relatively healthy, and my version only has 145 calories.

Throw the following ingredients into a blender:
1/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 tablespoon whipping cream. The kind that comes liquid in a carton, not in a can.
1 cup milk. Actually, that is a lie. I dislike milk, so I use 8th Continent Light Vanilla soy milk. Vanilla soy milk is delicious and I highly recommend it.
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Blend it all up till it's smooth. Pour into a glass and serve with graham crackers (it brings in that pumpkin pie crust feel).

Honestly, I am a lazy cook and don't measure most of the time; I just kind of eye things up. Usually I end up putting in more than 1/4 cup pumpkin, which makes it thicker (use a bit more sugar if you do this). I use a straw for supreme suction when I make a thick drink, because otherwise you'll be staring at the deliciousness stuck to the bottom of your cup.

If you want it creamier then you can add in more whipping cream. The next time I make this I think I am going to try brown sugar instead of white sugar and see if it makes a difference.

If you want to get fancy, use some of that whipping cream and actually whip it for a tasty little dollop on top. If you've never made whipping cream, I suggest this. Because of my lazy factor, I only did this because it looks better photographed. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top.

This recipe is just for one single serving (a bit over one cup), so if you are making it for more people, be sure to increase proportions. This is where adding fractions applies to real life. If you have a 4th grade student you should make them mix up 7 servings as homework. You can grade their efforts based on the resulting taste.

I like to make this for breakfast or for a snack. Dunking graham crackers in it is pretty tasty.

Make one and let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails