Monday, May 26, 2008

Goodbye Childhood

So my sister just bought her very own house a few weeks ago. This is obviously very exciting for her, but it also leads to the separation of both of our childhoods. Mainly through the selling of our childhood house. My sister had previously been renting our old house from my parents (because they built a new house and are now living in that), so now there really is no reason to keep our old house. I knew the eventual sale of the only house I lived in as a kid would come, but nevertheless was a bit shocked when I talked to my mom on Sunday and she said a real estate agent was going to look at the house.

As in, they are starting to fix the old house pronto so that they can sell it. My sister told me she moved all of her furniture out of the old house. I haven’t been back to look, but I know that when I do go, it will be the very first time in my life to see that house empty. It’s been full of furniture since the day I was born. It will be surreal, I am sure. When I go back (in approximately two weeks) I have to take the rest of my stuff out of my old room. Yes, I am spoiled in that I currently have three rooms to put my stuff in (my house here, a room at my parents’ new house, and the old house). I hardly have anything there. What I left behind was all my old toys that I didn’t need here and didn’t feel a need to move to my parents’ new house.

I was talking to my mom today about how I will have to help paint my old room, because currently there are clouds painted on the ceiling. I will also have to peel off all of those glow-in-the-dark stars. I am already depressed about this trip. I mean, taking out all of my old stuff, getting my room ready for some other kid to come live in. Seeing an empty house. Saying goodbye. Keeping nothing but memories. Here is something insane: about 90% of all of my memories are in that house. Almost all of everything I remember happened in that place. And now my family is basically selling the shell of my memories. Too much to think about right now. Undoubtedly will revisit this topic again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails