Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sometimes Mildly Awsome Things Happen Without You Expecting It

Setting: My classroom, Thursday morning. I had a sub the day before, so my room was messy and I was a bit unsure of what I'd be teaching in the morning. Plus, I had an IEP meeting that morning at 8, so I didn't even have a chance to re-group myself.

Students are coming into class, it's five till nine, and I'm trying to scarf down some breakfast before meeting with my word study group.

Enter: 30ish woman wheeling a cart with various doo-dads on it. She looks a bit unsure of herself, eyes me, I look back at her, and then finally...

Woman: Are you the teacher? (because you know, I look so young that she thinks maybe I'm just a helping hand or something. But I try not to be offended).

Me: Yes, I am. Can I help you?

Woman: I'm here to replace your computer.

Me: Really? (because no one had mentioned anything about this to me) Awesome! (scrambles to close e-mail and programs so the process can begin).

Woman: Tell me what programs you use.

Me: Umm...SRI, SAM, Novell, and Microsoft Office. Nothing fancy. Oh, and Read-About.

Woman: Do your students use Read-About on your computer?

Me: Yeah, sometimes they do, because our student computer doesn't work. It takes like 38 minutes just to start up, and then it won't let you access any programs once you're logged in.

Woman: Well, your old computer is actually going to become the student computer. We are taking out your current student computer. 

Me: So, essentially, I am getting two new computers?

Woman: If you want to think about it like that.

Me: Cool. This is so great.

Woman: I'm also going to wipe off all the things you don't use so everything will run much faster.

Me: Fantastic.

I meet with students and start teaching while helpful-tech-lady dismantles everything, cleans it, and then sets up my new computer at my desk. She also moves my old computer over to the student computer area and sets it up. It actually works.

One hour passes, I take my students to PE and then come back. I test everything out. It's awesome. And she also repaired Class XP, so I can actually access SASI now to look up student phone numbers and information.


Spent some time on Friday selecting a new background, screen saver for student computer (C6 Students Rock), and uploading Mavis Beacon typing program onto student computer because now it has enough memory to support such a thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails